Located in Chandler, Arizona | 480-963-2550 | Contact Us
Our Bilingual Montessori Elementary Program
6 – 9 years
Our Bilingual Montessori Elementary program provides children with the tools they need to become fully bilingual in English and Spanish using the Montessori method. Due to the children’s passion for learning and being able to work at their own pace.
Dr. Montessori called the 6-12 age range the “Second Plane of Development.” This is the time when children develop a strong interest in: cause and effect, logic and reasoning, right and wrong, and exploration and research. At this age, the child’s imagination becomes his or her most powerful learning tool. To provide fuel for their active imaginations, Dr. Montessori suggests that children need a vision of the whole universe starting with the solar system, the history and geography of the earth. From this vantage point, children have a framework for understanding all of the various parts. On a moral level, this helps children understand that they are part of an integrated whole. Our teachers provide materials and information for the students to discover this interconnectedness of the universe in a stimulating environment that keeps them inspired and interested. The children learn to face challenges with confidence and begin to find their own place in the world around them.
The multi-age classroom allows children to learn as quickly or slowly as they need to rather than being limited by a set curriculum. This fosters self-esteem and self-confidence. In addition, the older students develop leadership skills in mentoring the younger students, and the younger students look up to and learn from their older peers.
The program develops their logical thinking skills, ethical awareness, researching, reading, writing and presentation skills. The children learn how to work in a group, take responsibility for their actions and respect and communicate with their peers, community and the world at large—all of which prepare them for success.
Areas Of Learning:
- Practical Life: Focus on developing order, concentration, coordination, and independence; respect and care of the environment, care of class pets, grace and courtesy, food prep, sewing
- Sensorial: Development of observation, senses, and problem-solving by refining skills that help children learn how to think, reason, and make distinctions; find spatial relationships; visual discrimination; trinomial cube
- Language: Reading, comprehension, writing, poetry, grammar, spelling, punctuation, narratives
- Math: Work goes from concrete to abstract, telling time, stamp game, multiplication and division boards, checkerboard, learning about money, fractions, measuring, logic
- Spanish: Children learn to speak, read and write in Spanish; learn vocabulary; learn grammar and punctuation; full immersion environment
- Science: Direct observation and manipulation of physical properties in the areas of Life Science, Physical Science, Earth Science, and Scientific Reasoning; parts of animals and plants; measurement; Scientific Method; experiments
- Geography & Cultural: In-depth study of continents and oceans, land forms, study of people, cultures, traditions, maps, artifacts and our relationship to the universe
- Art: in-depth art lessons on a different medium each month, sketching, watercolor, sculpting, 3D art
- Peace Education: study of peacemakers from around the world, active discussions and community efforts towards peace, reading books about peace, peace corner for child to calm herself or himself
- Outdoor Environment: gardening, scientific observation of plants, water work, hammering, sanding, wheelbarrow